Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Mind yo' business?

ok, so this is my second entry for the day, which is unusual, but I was reading, which got me thinking about something, so I wanted to write it down before the entire thought process slipped out of my brain.  I'm a homeschooler.  An unschooler.  So, I was thinking.......WHY can't people just do things that make them happy?  For instance, if I die tomorrow, I'm going to be able to say I did things I wanted to do.  I am a wife and mother, and I try to be a good person.  I try to work towards things I want to do.  I DIDN'T go to college.  I DID adopt stray animals.  Humm.....perhaps this entry may not make sense.....  ok....example.  We'll use my daughter because she's 14 and getting to a point in her life where she has aspirations for her adult life.  She wants to open a business.  A Bed and Breakfast.  She doesn't really want to go to college.  She knows what she has to do to achieve her goals....soo......why bother with college, right?  She knows basic bookkeeping.  She knows how to cook.  If anything, she is thinking of a stint in culinary school to broaden her repertoire, but it's not the whole college BS that a 4 yr college along with degree would entail.  Am I making sense?  She knows what she wants, she knows what she has to do to get it, so that's what she does.  THIS...is totally cool with me.  She impresses me.  What I don't understand is that some people (no names here <g>) are horrified that she doesn't have any intention whatsoever of learning algebra.  (OK...to be honest, I took algebra 3 times in high school and do NOT use it at any time in my current daily life, but I digress)  They're horrified that she doesn't have any plans for learning the dates of any and all obscure wars in the past 400 years.  Now, I ask you..................what the hell is the point of forcing yourself to learn things you know you will never need in life...and on the completely left field chance that you MIGHT need to know said things, why not learn them when you need them...and not when you're some bored kid who gives a rats ass when the French invaded whatever country it was that they invaded on any given date.   It's just so amusing to hear the gasp when you say 'No, she isn't going to public high school......no, she might not have a 'real accredited diploma'.....and no, she doesn't have any current plans for college..'  I can HEAR their brains ...'ohhh.....one of THOSE kids......the wastes to society who think they don't have to conform.....the ones who are going to sponge off their parents and the government for the rest of their lives.......tsk tsk tsk....'  To me....yeah, I don't care if my kid is sponging off me, cuz you know what?  It's my kid.  I like her.  (Hey, I like 'em all...you know...that's why I had them.....)  Hmmm.......I wonder if I should end this entry because I'm rambling.  I wonder if anybody who reads this will 'get it'.  I wonder if I even care.  :)  I've got to stop reading, I tell you.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....