Friday, December 31, 2004

Possession? or just bad picture taking?

There's got to be a smarter person than me out there, so I figured...why not ask in my journal...SOMEBODY may know the answer.  I see peoples' journals.  They have their cute animals pictures in there.  The animals look completely normal.  SO WHY.....when *I* take a picture of MY animals....do MY animals come out with these possessed looking white spots for eyes.  I do the 'red-eye fix' thing in editing, but still.....they don't come out with normal eyes.  What am I doing wrong?!  Are my animals really possessed?!  (well, actually, they probably are, but we won't go into the creepiness that occurs in my house.  It's 100 and some years old and very...err...umm....unsettling sometimes.  Wait...what was the point of my entry?  oh yeah...animals eyes.  what am I doing wrong?!)

7 comments:

  1. I can set my digital camera so it flashes twice, and that is somehow supposed to reduce the red-eye problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be an old house thing.  MY new addition is over 150 years old!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. its because your animals are posessed! hahaha i dont know the answer..sorry..i just wanted to wish u a very happy new year!

    linda
    http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LifewithLinny
    http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LinnysLuciousLickings

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think he or she is cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can, bounce the flash off the ceilling or a wall. If you can not do that, take the picture with enough natural light so you do not need the flash. Red eye and that glow is caused by the flash bouncing off the retina of the eye. animals have such large irises that red eye reduction will not work when the animal is looking at the camera. Hope this helps.    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cats always have glowing green demon eyes in pictures.  It's annoying, but I'm resigned to it...besides. it's a pretty good reflection of their beastly little personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Animals have a reflective surface at the back of their retinas that reflect back light (giving them better vision at night). The problem with that is when we take a flash photo looking them straight in the face, those reflective cells shine the flash right back at us...giving that lovely glowing eyes possessed look. You can try taking the photos in a way so the animal isn't looking straight at the camera/you or take the pic without using your flash. OR you can do what I do, use the paintbrush feature and paint their eyeballs back to the appropriate color. ;-) Congrats on your feature this week. -B

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....