Friday, March 4, 2005

Homeschooling

                                                      

As I was going through my usual reads for the day, I read Sherry's journal - The Secret Life of a Stay at Home MomI know I don't talk about homeschooling much - even though that's what we are/do.........but when I read her entry on the FCAT (ahhh yes...standardized testing with a one-size-fits-all mentality) and her daughter, my heart just went out to her.  The FCAT is one of the reasons we homeschool.  Actually, what with the accident recently, Jesse - who doesn't often say much about homeschooling - said 'Amy, I am so glad we homeschool....I don't know how I would have been able to handle them with school responsibilities and everything else I had to deal with while you were in the hospital...'  BUT...back to the FCAT.  Ryan...sweet child that she is..... is sen-si-tive.  (OK, they all are, but....) Ryan.....about 4 years ago....was about to have a nervous breakdown worrying about whether she was going to pass the stupid test.  I mean to the point that the kid needed a psychiatrist.  Her teachers were stressed about keeping their jobs, and passing that stress on to the kids...it was just very ugly.  And.....finally.....I just said '%&#$ it.  I'm homeschooling.  I may not know what the hell I'm doing, but I can't screw her up any worse than this shit is screwing her up....' and so it began. 2 (3?) years later......we are loving every minute of life.  We're unschoolers.  (Unschooling.com)  We have almost zero stress about learning.  Right now Ryan is reading...and I'm trying to figure out how to support her book habit.  Alex is watching a show on wildlife in Florida.  Adrian is trying to talk to Ryan about how many things he can find that are triangles (and she's trying to pretend like she's listening to him....).  We have evaluations at the end of the year to make sure we're not keeping them locked in a closet..and making sure they're learning, but come on...how can kids NOT learn...ya know?!  Anyway.....blah blah blah.......but the point is...I can't say enough good things about homeschooling.   

Note:  Yes, I know not all people should homeschool.  Yes, I know not all people can.  I don't think I'm better or my kids are better because we homeschool.  I just see it as a wonderful opportunity I and my kids have been given.  (Can you tell I've heard it all and then some?)

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful entry! I think home schooling is great! I really admire those who are able to do this :o)   My opinion? It's not just the testing that concerns me...but society all together. "God" was taken out of our schools, they took away a teachers right to discipline when needed, and "Bullying" has a whole new meaning now a days. The teachers are so stressed they can't effectively do their jobs...etc etc etc. As you know, I have 3 kids (with only one who started kindergarten this year) and I have already had to go to the school because of some 5th grader bullying my son :o(
    It scares the chit out of me! Homeschooling is definately a possibility in their coming years! I'm just sort of playing it by ear right now...
    Love & Hugs my friend!
    ~Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I homeschool too. I have some sites that may support your daughters book habit. My daughters love to read too. I sent Sherry some info she requested from me and I agree wtih you. I cant do any worse. But I have found we do better. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for homeschooling.  I could never do it... even if I didn't have to work... I don't think I'd have the patience...lol.  Our standardized testing here is awful... they're called TCAP's here.  And the principal puts so much pressure on the teacher and that stresses the kids.  I just tell mine to do there best and not to worry about it.  I hate it for them.  
    My babysitter unschool's her daughter and they LOVE it.  Kudos to you!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. amy i think thats great! I dont think I have the brains to do that and pass those tests...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Fiancee and I are finding that his son isnt doing as well as we expected in public school.. and he's partially deaf also and actually goes to a special school.. thing is its like a boarding school so he is there all week and I'm thinking he's just not getting the attention he needs to do well with his classwork.. either rules arent enforced or its just plain difficult to make sure hes doing his homework.. We have toyed with the idea of homeschooling him if his grades dont improve but my question is how do you teac h chemistry and advanced alegebra and all that with homeschooling ? Or dont they have to learn that? I mean I hardly remember half of that stuff myself.. We would love to have him home here .. where we have more control over his studying habits and learning.. how would that work?? Any links you might be able to send me would be just great! Thanks a bunch! Miss M* Sorry for the long comment.. but I love your journal and thought to chime in here..

    ReplyDelete
  6. For any parent who's able to home school-i think that is great that you can do that!  I give you and your husband a lot of credit :)

    ~Tarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish homeschooling was as open as it is now.When my boys were growing up it was still a small group of parents doing it...I wish I was a stronger person then to have done that for them. Because the public schooling

    really  messed them up...they both quit school at 16.....But they both  got their ged....and my oldest went on to take some college....But it was just too hard for them in public school,
    Now they weren't angels but the teachers were too busy with large class sizes. My boys were tested and were both in the genius percentile.....The teachers just weren't able to keep them interested....


    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....