Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Fun 4th and some tamales

Well....there went a crapload of money up in smoke, huh?!  Ehh....yes, but fireworks are fun.  (Is anybody else hearing Beavis and Butthead "fire fire....heh heh heh heh..fire fire!"  ??)

Jesse worked til 9, which was ok, because it didn't get dark til 9 anyway.  Ryan and I made tamales all by ourselves and they came out fabulous.  Usually I make sure Jesse 'helps' because I say I don't know what I'm doing.  This time, though, I wanted tamamles bad enough to risk messing up a $12.00 pork roast.  We followed the recipe (Jesse's moms' recipe)....Ryan made the masa, I made the meat...and we both did the actual assembly.  It went pretty quick, and we were cleaned up by the time Jesse got home.  He was impressed.  I have to say though......most of you know I homeschool.  (or unschool, for those of you who are savvy to the HS lingo)  Yesterday was a fine example of homeschooling at its' best.  We had a science class yesterday while we were making the tamales.  Did you know........that if you put something VERY hot into the blender, cap the blender, and turn it on.....it will blow the lid clean off.......even if you're physically holding it on?  Well.....it will.  My advice is to not try that with hot chile straight out of the fry pan.  You'll be cleaning cabinets for quite a while.  Of course, that's just my advice.  If you do decide to do that, please send me pictures so I can laugh at the fact that somebody else did it, too.

Anyway, we didn't set the house on fire.....so it musta been a good 4th.....right?

16 comments:

  1. he is tall and your little dog too...lol
    What are you putting in the food...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!  We went to the professional fireworks show.  Los Angeles is no fun when it comes to lighting your own...jail time and stuff.  Oh well.
    PSST!  Just got back from court and I'm FREE!  Gonna go pack now.  :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, those tamales look good!  Don't think I have ever eaten tamales.  I cannot believe how tall Alex is and how big Gordo is!!!!!  The chile comment had me ROFLMHO!!!!  Hubby put a boiled egg in the microwave once and got the same effect.  Don't try that either, lol.

    Blessings!
    Susan
    http://journals.aol.com/Smjr43/Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum yum yum!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't stop laughing, you are a scream. Thanks for your humour - it's great!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the doggie pics satan and cyborg lOL that is hilairous do you know that pacos leg bends that funny way Sashas does./? Its got that bird leg curve i Call it. Now let me tell you Sash is scared though. Yup unschooling experiments are a hoot. I tell you nothing else is so crazy as them. I wish I coud have took pics the third time in one winter I burned upa cake and taker in the oven by preheating and not checking and it melted like wax all over and the mess cleaning up and the windows open in 40 degree temps LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I know that I don't make comments as much as I should, I do read and enjoy all your journale.Thanks for all you have done for my journal
                                      DAD

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up!  Glad you have all fingers and toes left :)

    Chris
    http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
    http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, duhhhhhhhhh!  I could have told you about hot stuff in the blender!  Try shrimp bisque!  No.... in fact... DON'T try shrimp bisque!  The mess coated the kitchen and what we missed, we smelled for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics! I've never had tamales before - they look delish! ~ Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOOOOVE tamales.  I had the pleasure of eating some in Mexico, and that's how I got hooked!  

    http://journals.aol.com/chrisuab/noseriously

    ReplyDelete
  12. My aunt Josie came from Houston a few weeks ago~~we made close to 30 DOZEN tamales for the family!mmmmm good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say once again that you all are a beautiful family!  Good genes!  And it was Beavis who loved fire!  Fire Fire!!!  

    Your buddy,
    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW LOVED THE PICS ;) UR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFULLLL UR DAUGHTER LOOKS LIKE UR SISTA :) AND YEAH WOW ALEX IS GETTIN TALLLL  U HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you had a good time anyway.  And that is so what Beavis and Butthead would say LOL. Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tamales sound yummy!  I haven't had one in years!  LOVE the pics!  Your family is so handsome and you and your daughter are so wonderfully skinny!!  Well sounds like you had a great 4th.  I'm exhausted.  Need another weekend about right now.  Hmmm, maybe a vacation.... somewhere with no phone.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....