Tuesday, December 18, 2007

yay - food!

Food....is a major priority at my house.  We think about it too much.  We talk about it.  We watch shows about it.  Surprisingly, none of us has hit 300 lbs yet.
 
My point here is that this is gonna be a food related entry.  LOL
 
We love alfredo sauce here.  Alot.  It's one of the few things that Adrian will eat without even blinking, complaining, or chewing.  (Just kidding about the chewing part.  He does chew his food.  Most of the time.)  Anyway, I've gone through the plethora of jarred alfredo sauces.  Yes, I could probably make my own, but eh..... sometimes a mom just wants to open a jar and call it food without too much effort, you know?!  Most of the jarred sauces, while good, leave a bit to be desired.  They're good, but there's not that "wow.....this is really good.'  Then, a week ago, we were over at my sister in law's house helping her cut down some tree limbs.  She made us dinner.  Guess what it was.  Go ahead....you'll never guess.  Okay, maybe you will.  Chicken Alfredo.  And...it was really good.  So, I said 'Okay, which brand do you buy?!"  ('cause I know she isn't making it from scratch, either).....  She lifted up a jar of Ragu.  The same brand I buy.  I said 'Uhhhhhhhh okayyyy....and what else do you put in it then?!'  She told me.  and I was like 'Seriously?  SERIOUSLY!?!?' but it was.....really good.  Y'all wanna know, don't you.  I know you do.  Are you ready?  She said "Half of a block of Velveeta Queso Blanco with jalapenos, and some butter and milk."  Velveeta?  The hell?  In Alfredo sauce?!  Now, I don't know if it's available everywhere, but if it is, try it.  You'll be shocked at how good it is.
 
Also, while I'm at it......I'm making pork chops for dinner.  This potato casserole is SO good with it.  If you make it, tell me how you liked it.
 
Hash Brown Casserole (like The Cracker Barrel's)
 
10.25 oz can of condensed cream of chicken soup
8 oz. Colby cheese - grated
1/2 C melted butter OR margarine
1 sm. onion - minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 lb bag frozen shredded hash browns
 
-Spray a 13" X 9" X 2" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
-In a bowl, combine soup, cheese, butter, onion, salt, and pepper.
-Gently fold the potatoes into the mixture and pour into prepared pan.
-Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until heated through and top is browned.
 
This.  stuff.  is.  SO.  good.


10 comments:

  1. oh i make that potatoe casserole all the time yes its yummy. I buy the alfredo and add a tad of cream cheese and some parm to it just a tad and it makes a yymmy alfredo as Rachael loves........ she just loves olive gardens alfredo. so........ then now you see IM going to have to try yours!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sittin' here eatin' chocolate turtles and you are talking about Chicken Alfredo and Hashbrown casserole.  Carebear loves broccoli alfredo.  I will actually eat that too, but we both LOVE hashbrown casserole.  Will hafta try it and surprise her.  I can make the cheese garlic biscuits like Red Lobster!  Hee.......

    Love ya,

    Suse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alfredo Sauce.... MMMMMM decadant.  I never make it or serve it, everyone would kill me becasue everyone is watching the weight issue.

    I used to work at a resturant and I used to have to make alfredo sauce table side.  It was actually as easy as opening a can.  You just take a pot and egg yoke and half and half.  Heat the milk and egg yoke to just below a boil.  Then dump a tone of Parmisan and/or Asiago cheese in till it melts and tickens.  (have one of the kids or pets stir continually)

    That puppy of yours look up to the task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!!  I am supposed to be watching my cholesterol so I can only serve things like this now and again but I do love alfredo sauce and that is amazing!!  I would never have guessed what she was adding!!!  The hashbrown casserole sounds so good.  My brother in law is a manager there at Cracker Barrel by the way.... he said they actually have a recipe for something they make that uses coffee grounds or some such thing.  But everything I have tasted there is really delicious.  My favorite thing they serve is the chicken tenderloin.  So I asked him to make it for 4th of July and he sure did!!  Thanks again for the nice comment today.  It helped me smile again!
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try a small bottle of Stolichnaya Elit Ultra Luxury Russian Vodka in Alfredo Sauce.  It is pricey, but Don's Mom uses it & makes the best Alfredo known to man.  Ok, the maid makes it LOL. Still. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything's better with cheese... or Velveeta, whichever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know food is a major priority with me too! lol.  I Love this casserole.  You cannot get loose frozen hash browns over here though, only those little McCain hashbrown triangles.  I do make a similar thing with chopped boiled potato though.  Not quite the same, but good anyways.  I'll give your recipe a try!
    Marie
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, you are like that cooking show woman who uses the prepackaged/jar stuff but makes it seem homemade....what the hell is her name...anyway, I love that stuff and those hash brown sound sooooo goooood! --Cin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I am realy worried Amy, EVERYONE is talking about food on thier blogs (well the Americans anyway)
    Gaz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol,,I didn't think I was even hungry until I read this..umm, do I have what I need to make it tonight?? No, but I will tomorrow...lol..
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....