Saturday, May 31, 2008

My baby's not a baby anymore

18 years ago today, I was in the hospital getting ready to be a mom for the first time.

Jesse was in basic training, and I was at Wilford Hall all by myself wondering if he was going to make it.  The doctor that I had was so incredibly sweet, and also...a Major who reassured me that come hell or high water, she would make sure he was with me even if she had to go get him herself.

Labor and Delivery was a piece of cake.  A couple hours of waiting and a couple pushes and I had myself a gorgeous amazing baby girl.  A very anti-pink girl, but a girl, nonetheless.

She has had, I think, a difficult life.  Being an Air Force kid meant you could never be sure that your best friend was gonna be with you forever.  Being the older sister of a special needs brother meant you would get picked on and had to suck it up and protect him anyway.  Being the older sister of another brother meant she would never have peace and quiet.  She was always so very sensitive and is still like that...but in a good way, now.  She wears her heart on her sleeve even though she tries not to.  She has a wild freedom that I hope never goes away.  She mastered the English Underground, for pitys sake!  By herself!!

So.  To my Baby Girl........Happy 18th Birthday.  I love you more than you can even possibly imagine.  (and don't listen to your dad.  He loves to mess with you.)

(check my side bar and go wish The Amish Kid a Happy birthday, okay?!)

 

18 comments:

  1. She is just simply stunning. I hope she has an AMAZING birthday.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on the Underground once. I got on it in London, Paddington Station I think, and I got off in Narnia. You are right. Its a bitch to figure out. I stood at the Ticket machine once, scared to go any closer. Its complicated. Everythings complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is very beautiful like her mommy!~

    Love ya!~

    Suse
    http://journals.aol.com/Rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a wonderful daughter and such a beautiful family Amy!!  
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!

    How are you holding up, Ma? Should I bring over the tequila?

    ~Jaime
    www.ChaseNKids.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Ryan! I thinks she gets her brains and sweetness from her Mom. I would of been so totally ok, if I had a mom like you growing up. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe... you betcha I stopped over there :)
    d

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son just turned 18 about two weeks ago, it's amazing when they are old enough to NOT be our babies anymore, but of course, we know, they always will be.  Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter!!!

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your daughter! she's gorgeous!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a beautiful tribute!  

    ~Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy,
    Congratulations ... I'm sure you're "baby" is proud of you too.  What a great, online birthday message you've given her!
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow.  You're old.

    ROFL, just kidding.  She is so pretty.  You must be ONE proud mamma!  Happy Birthday to your firstborn.

    Rachel
    http://journals.aol.com/fierrorachel/LifeNStuff

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful tribute. Happy birthday to your daughter, she is beautiful.
    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, she's so gorgeous and amazing!

    Your words, though simple and straightforwad, are really powerful...every daughter should get such a tribute from her mother.  She's lucky to have you.

    By the way, I love the new title for your journal.  It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well...I guess it's time to have another one.  Get busy on that.

    XOXO
    Russ

    P.S.  Happy Birthday, Cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your sweet baby girl.  I expect I am a day late with those wishes but I mean them all the same.  She seems like an amazing girl with a pretty straight head screwed on to her shoulders!  Not only that, but she's gorgeous on top of it! Apple and tree eH?
    Marie
    http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is absolutely gorgeous, Amy -- happy birthday wishes to you both!!! My first "baby" just turned 19 on the 26th....I can relate to your feelings for her.

    Have a great day,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....