Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just because I CAN....

.........doesn't mean I won't ask my mother in law to make it when she visits.

I already told the story of how when my MIL visits, she asks if I have any chile (salsa) and I say no, and she makes it.

I've never had to make it. Ever.

But, since they had the accident, I didn't want her up and walking around in the kitchen. Much. LOL

Anyway, they ended up leaving to go back to Mexico and I was still without my chile because she usually makes enough when she's here to last for a month til they come back.

So.

I MADE IT MYSELF! WooHoo! (Tell me if I get annoying with the whole 'I made it myself thing', okay?)

You wanna make it, too, don't you?

I know you do.

It uses tomatillos:





and chile serrano:




Pictures there in case you need them....

So, it's as easy as can be....
Peel husks off of tomatillos (6-8)....and rinse. Cut off stems of 3 chiles. Put both in a pot along with 1 tomato, and 1/4 of an onion. Add water and boil until the tomatillos take on a yellowish hue as opposed to the bright green. (If one of them splits, it will smell weird, but not to worry...it'll be fine in the end) Drain and scoop everything into a blender. Give it a whirl until it's liquified. The liquid will be hot, so be careful. There needs to be an escape for the steam, otherwise the expansion will blow the lid off the blender and you will have a hot mess all over the place. Chop 1/3 cup of cilantro and about 2 T. of onion finely and add them to the mixture. Then add in a sploosh of vinegar (which is mainly to keep it fresh)........a couple shakes of cumin (or less if you're not a big fan), a couple shakes of garlic powder, and a T. tomato-chicken boullion. (You can use plain chicken boullion...but I like the tomato-chicken boullion).

Stir it all up, let it cool, and there you are! It's not that spicy. Just a little bit of heat, but I have a punk husband who doesn't like HOT, so I limit it to 3. My MIL does 6. Sometimes more. Hee...

6 comments:

  1. I think I might try to make this over the weekend. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I love tomatillos. I take it they are feeling better. Too funny that your husband doesn't like the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could eat hot foods but I can't ~ I'd suffer for days afterwards because of it. Even when I COULD eat hot, spicy foods I was a wimp LOL. I do like tomatillos though lol. Thank you for sharing this recipe! Hugs** Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool sounds yummy! My family doesn't like hot either. My ex husband got me used to spicy food but I have kinda of flamed out since marrying Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about the accident. Hope they are much better.
    The recipe sounds great. I might have to try it myself..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like too much effort to me. Never heard of tomatillos before anyway.
    I think I'd rather have toast.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....