Friday, August 21, 2009

Etiquette Rule #7

Martha's having a party!

A blog party. 'cause it's Friday.

As any good party guest would, one shouldn't show up empty handed.

I'm bringing some Jalapeno Poppers. These are low carb, too! Yay, me!
I'll have a Rum 'n Diet Coke to go with those, please!

So.....the recipe is from Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes:

JALAPEÑO POPPERS

8 fresh jalapeños
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 slices thin bacon, cut in half crosswise
Cut the chiles in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds and membranes. Fill each half with cream cheese, but do not mound it. Four ounces should be just about the right amount for 8 average size jalapeño halves. If you have extra large chiles, make sure you have a full 8 ounces of cream cheese on hand. Wrap each with 1/2 slice raw bacon, making sure to start with the end on the bottom of the chile. Stretch the bacon slightly to make it go all the way around each chile once (see photo below), then tuck ends underneath. Place cream cheese side up on foil-lined baking sheet. These can be assembled and chilled until just before baking and serving. Bake at 375º 20-25 minutes. If bacon isn't quite done, broil a few more minutes to brown.
Makes 16 servings

Above is the original recipe.

Now, when I make them, I grill or pan fry some chicken tenders as well (with whatever spices I like - which is usually fajita seasoning), put in a little bit of cream cheese, and then push the chicken in the jalapeno. (squish it in there so the cream cheese comes up around it....) Then I continue with the bacon wrapping business and follow the rest of the recipe. Also, with the cream cheese, I mix in a goodly amount of shredded cheddar cheese, so it's a fairly thick mixture - and use that instead of plain cream cheese. Always gilding the lily, you know. Oh! I've grilled these as well, with excellent results!

Here's what Linda's picture looks like - hopefully she doesn't mind me borrowing the picture...

So..........head on over to Martha's party. I'll share! I made plenty!

9 comments:

  1. Previous entry was "tired of talking about food" This entry is about poppers. I love you, sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy! I need me some of those. Bacon and cheese, that has my tastebuds tingling Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I love these! I make them too. I love your idea of putting chicken in them. Did you see how fast these were gobbled up at the party?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delish, delish, delish.

    I'm starving now.

    Thanks, Amy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm, I've never had them wrapped in bacon before...but of course, everything is better with bacon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... nom nom nom...

    I was supposed to go to a party today and one of the guests was to make these. Then the middle kid got sick. :(

    THEN, I realized that I have a way to homeschool said middle kid without breaking any of the exhole's rules.

    So. There's that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm...I love these, and adding chicken and shredded cheddar sure couldn't hurt, now could it?

    Have a great Sunday! :-)

    Hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks tasty, but I am on a calorie counting thingy so I could concievably eat that, but it would be breakfast, lunch, AND dinner lol. I tried low carb for about six months once. Then I went insane and ate all the bread and popcorn I could find and balloooned. Now I count calories. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, people! Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself....